[Standards] Push and headline messages

Mickaël Rémond mremond at process-one.net
Wed Jul 1 10:10:01 UTC 2015

Hello,

On 1 Jul 2015, at 11:42, Dave Cridland wrote:

> On 1 July 2015 at 09:20, Mickaël Rémond <mremond at process-one.net>
> wrote:
>
>> I think it implies that they should not be pushed as well. Otherwise,
>> you
>> may receive a push notification for a message you will never be able
>> receive if you reconnect.
>>
>> Am I wrong ?
>> Do you think it could be useful to clarify the push XEP on that point
>> ?
>
> I don't think you're wrong in your interpretation, but it's not clear
> this
> is a desirable outcome. Things that are time-critical information seem
> be exactly the things we need to ensure can be received via mobile
> push.

Let me describe further the example that brought me to this conclusion.
We are dealing with Pubsub based sketching, geoloc, whiteboard
application that send update on quite a fast rate (headline messages).

Possibly we need another concept here, but I bringing the point that in
the current state, it does not seem desirable to trigger tens / hundreds
of push notifications for those headline messages.

That and the fact that when a client receive a push, the default
behaviour is probably to reconnect to retrieve message. In that case a
push is received, but no offline message will be delivered.

--
Mickaël Rémond
ProcessOne - Boxcar