[Standards] Proposed XMPP Extension: Zero Handshake Server to Server Protocol

Steve Kille steve.kille at isode.com
Tue Jul 14 14:35:57 UTC 2015

Let me give a bit more background on this proto-XEP.

We (Isode) have been involved with a number of systems operating over very high latency (several second) slow and flakey links.
Using standard XMPP over these links is barely useable - many minutes to establish communications.

The approach here of eliminating server to server handshakes has been implemented and tested in a number of UK and NATO trials.

It seems desirable to make this useful approach available as a XEP.  NATO are keen to see this happen, and I prefer to avoid
proprietary approaches.

This proto-XEP writes up what we implemented.     I'd welcome any input on this.

Regards

Steve