[Standards] NEW: XEP-0359 (Unique and Stable Stanza IDs)

Florian Schmaus flo at geekplace.eu
Wed Jul 15 15:07:27 UTC 2015

On 15.07.2015 00:31, Lance Stout wrote:
>> - Why put the client-id in the stanza-id ?
>
> It has been suggested (but not yet incorporated into 359) that client-id be replaced by the simple lack of a 'by' attribute. (If no 'by' is present, the entity that stamped the ID is the stanza sender, pending the support checks that should be added in the security considerations that I mentioned on list earlier.)

I don't like the idea of having a special case where 'by' is omitted.
Instead I consider transforming the 'client-id' from an attribute to an
element.

<client-stanza-id xmlns='urn:xmpp:sid:0' id='uniqueId'/>

This makes the verification rules for the 'stanza-id' element simpler
(e.g. only valid if id *and* by is set), while keeping the client-id
feature.

- Florian