[Standards] Initial thoughts on Raft over XMPP

Matthew A. Miller linuxwolf at outer-planes.net
Mon Jul 20 17:17:17 UTC 2015

On 7/20/15 5:39 PM, Matthew Wild wrote:
> Hi Peter,
>
> On 20 July 2015 at 10:11, Peter Membrey <peter at membrey.hk> wrote:
>> Hi guys,
>>
>> As the subject suggests, I'm really interested in using the Raft
>> consensus protocol over XMPP. I'll give you some background on
>> the project I'm working on, some info on Raft and will then try
>> to explain why I think XMPP is a great choice for transporting
>> the raft data. It's the first time I've considered working on an
>> XEP, so any constructive or critical feedback will truly be
>> welcome! Also, thanks in advance for taking the time to read
>> through all this.
>
>> I am already working on a prototype to let me do this using
>> custom <message/> stanzas. It would be easy enough to do this as
>> 'chat' and place the payload in <body/>, but because the data
>> fits structured XML so nicely, it just seemed plain wrong to
>> overload 'chat'.
>>
>> So, as I'm probably going to have to do this work anyway, I
>> wanted to get in touch with the community and see whether or not
>> it thinks this would be a suitable case for an XEP. To be clear,
>> I'm not suggesting we implement Raft itself in XMPP, but merely
>> define a mechanism for transporting Raft messages within a
>> cluster. I'm very happy to do the leg work and I'll certainly
>> take on board all feedback that I get. If the overall vibe is
>> positive, I'll start putting together a proto-XEP for submission
>> to the XEP Editor.
>
> This sounds great, definitely something I'd be interested in seeing
> a XEP for :)
>
> I would omit the message type (it defaults to 'normal') and just
> put your XML inside the message instead of a <body/>. Unless you
> have something transactional (request/response), in which case use
> an <iq/>. It should be pretty straightforward, as you say.
>
> Finally, if this is your first XEP, some handy links:
>
> - https://xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0134.html -
> https://xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0143.html

Just a note regarding XEP-0143.  It is now possible to submit
proposals as a github Pull Request; the repository is at <
https://github.com/xsf/xeps.git >.  It's not instantaneous (the XEP
Editors are not paid to do this job, after all), but we try to be
quick and responsive.

Look forward to the protoXEP!

- --
- - m&m