[Standards] File Transfer Roadmap

Rick van Rein rick at openfortress.nl
Mon Jul 27 07:30:59 UTC 2015

Hi Sam / others,

I hope I'm not being ignorant by not having been in the MUC, but one
issue deserves attention I think:

When talking of file transfer, the issue of NAT traversal invariably
pops up, and becomes a strong selection criterium for the mechanism to
use.  Please don't forget that file transfer between pre-negotiated
endpoints is *much* easier in the case of transparant addressing, which
we may assume when IPv6 is being used.  A sound choice of mechanism
should take IPv6 into account, or a separate mechanism might be
preferred for IPv6, or perhaps a variation e.g. without NAT traversal
techniques.  To simplify the transition, ideally the same mechanism
would be used for IPv4 and IPv6 of course.

Cheers,
 -Rick