[Standards] MAM and MUC archives

Kevin Smith kevin.smith at isode.com
Mon Jul 27 11:32:48 UTC 2015

Hi Mickaël,

On 27 Jul 2015, at 12:14, Mickaël Rémond <mremond at process-one.net> wrote:
> I need a few questions to clarify the behaviour of the MAM XEP in the context of the MUC archives.
>
> Are we supposed to send the MAM queries to the MUC service or to the room itself ?

To the room.

> 2. If we send the query to the room itself.
> - I guess it means each room must themselves somewhat advertised the Archive service. It seems a bit strange as I would expect to have a single service to talk to for my MUC archives

Yes, if you want the archives for a particular room, you’d talk to that room. This isn’t *your* MUC archives, but those of the room - it’ll contain messages while you weren’t in there, etc.

For those messages you have personally received from MUCs, you could query your personal archive, if your server stores MUC messages in the archive.

> - The filter / with behaviour would still need to be clarified. Does it really make sense to return only messages send by a given user ?

It seems to make sense to me, if you want to see a particular user’s history within the room. I’m not sure that it’s sensibly defined, though. We’ve (Matt and I) got a bunch of pending updates for MAM, I’ll have to see where we are with them.

/K