[Standards] Proposed XMPP Extension: HTTP File Upload

Sam Whited sam at samwhited.com
Mon Jul 27 16:39:44 UTC 2015

On Mon, Jul 27, 2015 at 11:23 AM, Evgeny Khramtsov <xramtsov at gmail.com> wrote:
> Do you have any ideas how HTTP headers can be incorporated into the XEP?
> Because, for example, Content-MD5 header (used in Amazon S3) is also
> required for a receiver to be known, but there is no interaction
> between a sender and a receiver defined in the XEP.

For the sake of reduced complexity, I was thinking of something as
simple as modifying the <put>/<get> elements like so (I'm just making
the XML up off the top of my head, the actual schema might look
different, I have no idea what best practices are):

```
<put>
  <url>https://someuploadservice.tld/somefilename.ext</url>
  <headers>
    <header name="content-type">application/some-mime</header>
    <header name="x-some-services-auth-header">sometoken</header>
  </headers>
</put>
```

and similarly for the GET.

You're right, this would not solve all the problems (eg. no
Content-MD5), but I think it will hit the majority of use cases
without adding additional complexity.

(slightly OT: But Amazon S3 uploads are working great for me after I
added the content-type header to Conversations... I'm using it on my
personal account right now to great effect)

—Sam

--
Sam Whited
pub 4096R/54083AE104EA7AD3