[Standards] Proposed XMPP Extension: HTTP File Upload

Daniel Gultsch daniel at gultsch.de
Wed Jul 29 15:36:07 UTC 2015

I don't see any problem in using SI or Jingle File Transfer on the server
> side, and you can use the requesting jid to check auth, which is far better
> than using a random URL which can be lost in the nature and setting a full
> HTTP server just for that.

The thing is that jingle is a session negotiation protocol. It works very
well when two p2p entities that don't know each other wont to work out the
best available method to transfer a file between them. When uploading a
file to a server you don't need to negotiate anything.  If you were to
write a component that would just offer a place to upload files all
negotiations would end up with the same result: Upload file directly via
socks5 to that component since this is the most efficient one.

>  but nothing prevent XMPP libraries to implement file transfer

only that library developer are also lazy...

Don't get me wrong. There is definitely a place for Jingle and Jingle FT. I
don't want to deprecate Jingle at all. But Jingle is not always the right
tool for the job.

cheers
Daniel