[Standards] Proposed XMPP Extension: HTTP File Upload

Goffi goffi at goffi.org
Thu Jul 30 09:07:28 UTC 2015

On 30/07/2015 02:29, Sam Whited wrote:
> HTTP Upload should be used when you want a file to be made available
> somewhere to one or more people (maybe publically, maybe with
> authentication), it's a "sharing" action, whereas JFT should be used
> when you want a (potentially encrypted) file transfer to a single
> recepient that should never be stored on an intermediary machine, eg.
> the "sending" action.

My point is that HTTP transfer is nothing more than a P2P transfer
between server and requester(s) (and why would you not store the file
?), and while trying to make life easier it will result in either
developers implementing both (so more complications at the end), either
they'll implement only one (say HTTP), resulting in a feature loss.

Beside the risk of losing the url that I have already mentioned, HTTP
give  no advantage over Socks5, and doesn't do NAT traversal as Jingle
can do, and it's an other whole different server to maintain.

Anyway, if the HTTP XEP is published I'll implement it anyway, I just
hope it will not have bad side effects on jingle adoption, neither it
will prevent to have new XEP for requesting a file with jingle (which is
a more elegant option in my opinion). If indeed both can live together,
well, why not.

Goffi