[Standards] Proposed XMPP Extension: HTTP File Upload

Sergey Dobrov binary at jrudevels.org
Thu Jul 30 10:19:00 UTC 2015

Hi folks,

This thread shows that XMPP really need some roadmap of what it should
look like and what is its target on the market.

Because otherwise it's not obvious, how to decide on the topics like
this. Of course, jingle does not mean we can't serve offline transfers,
it can be solved by adding another infrastructure for hosting them, but
given the current level of implementation jingle, are we ready to add
more and more XEPs again?

While I'm very interested in an infrastructure that's fully XMPP-driven,
I'm not sure that we can obtain it in a reasonable time, because take a
look on Pubsub.

But again, I don't want to look like an advocate of utilizing HTTP, I
really think it would be much greater to have XMPP infrastructure, but
how can we motivate someone to implement that?

I know that XSF is not commercial and probably does not want to solve
such a question, delegating that to the companies that use XMPP instead,
but can it actually be the thing because of which many companies refused
to use XMPP recently? They can be just not sure how to use it, yes, they
could contribute to the community and solve this but somehow they don't
want?

Sorry, for some offtopic, but I'm really sensible to this question, as I
can't decide for myself also.

Thanks.