[Standards] OpenPGP and XEP-0027

Goffi goffi at goffi.org
Fri Jul 31 08:16:57 UTC 2015

G'day,

I have a few questions about OpenPGP. XEP-0027 has been obsoleted by
council on 26/03/2014, but I can't see no explanation.

OpenPGP is not the best for instant messaging (and OTR is the de facto
standard), but still it's interesting for normal messages (e.g. with an
SMTP gateway), and signatures, and offline messages, and probably other
use cases.
In addition, it would be nice to have a way to link the public key.

So why OpenPGP has been obsoleted ? Is is still possible to see it
coming back throught eventually a new more proper XEP ? I don't mean use
it as the main e2e encryption model, but being able to use it with
gateways or to diffuse the public key seems important to me.

Thanks
Goffi