[Standards] Proposed XMPP Extension: Unique and stable message IDs

Matthew Wild mwild1 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 4 09:26:27 UTC 2015

On 3 June 2015 at 16:02, XMPP Extensions Editor <editor at xmpp.org> wrote:

> Title: Unique and stable message IDs
>
> Abstract: This specification describes unique and stable IDs for message stanzas.

Yay, thanks Florian!

My feedback so far:

## client-id

This is much better than the first draft I saw containing 'client-id'.
However I'm still unconvinced that it belongs here. It has different
uses, and different semantics. If it stays in this XEP (which I'm ok
with), I think it should be in another element, which the server
doesn't have to even care about.

However for the use-cases that I understand it to be solving, I don't
believe it should even be necessary. The id attribute is the client's
id and it should be preserved. Duplicating it in a content element is
a silly hack in my opinion.

## replacing message-id's

This revision says that there must only be a single id at any point in
time. This would prevent you from learning the id that a remote MUC
service (or any other entity) assigned it (in case you want to query a
MUC's archive).

I would probably go for the same approach as the original <archived/>
element in MAM, and have a 'by' attribute (similar also to <delay/>):

   <message-id id="1234-0000-...." by="example.com" />

This would also allow clients to use it if they really wanted to, by
putting their JID in the 'by'.

Regards,
Matthew