[Standards] Proposed XMPP Extension: Unique and stable message IDs

Daniel Gultsch daniel at gultsch.de
Fri Jun 5 11:01:16 UTC 2015

> This revision says that there must only be a single id at any point in
> time. This would prevent you from learning the id that a remote MUC
> service (or any other entity) assigned it (in case you want to query a
> MUC's archive).
>
> I would probably go for the same approach as the original <archived/>
> element in MAM, and have a 'by' attribute (similar also to <delay/>):
>
>    <message-id id="1234-0000-...." by="example.com" />
>
> This would also allow clients to use it if they really wanted to, by
> putting their JID in the 'by'.

 agreed. Having multiple message-id tags each with their own by attribute
makes for a more salable solution than having attributes for each
individual propose like client-id, muc-server-id, server-id. On top of that
the delay tag has the same attribute which gives us some consistency across
different XEPs.

And I'm currently not really seeing the point of a client adding an id
since the client can already set the stanza id. With an the by attribute we
don't have to decide on whether or not there is a use case for the
client-id.

cheers
Daniel