[Standards] Proposed XMPP Extension: Unique and stable message IDs

Florian Schmaus flo at geekplace.eu
Sun Jun 7 18:12:24 UTC 2015

On 03.06.2015 17:02, XMPP Extensions Editor wrote:

> Title: Unique and stable message IDs
>
> Abstract: This specification describes unique and stable IDs for message stanzas.

> The XMPP Council will decide in the next two weeks whether to accept this proposal as an official XEP.

Thanks for the feedback everyone so far. I try to respond to most
concerns and comments individually.

I'd like to explain the rationale for the current design, since adding
information about which entity the MID belongs to, was mentioned
multiple times,

I intentionally did not include the information about the related XMPP
entity allocating the MID in <message-id/>, because my idea is that MAM,
or MAM-like, archives won't contain 'groupchat' messages. This makes it
possible to infer the XMPP entity the MID belongs to: If it's of not of
type 'groupchat' it's a MID of the users MAM archive, if it's of type
'groupchat' it's a MID of the MUC service. The motivation was the
principle, that a protocol is well designed if there is nothing left
that can be removed without decreasing its power.

But on the other hand, I've no strong objections adding a 'by' attribute
to <message-id/>, if the XMPP community thinks it's absolutely required.

-Florian