[Standards] Proposed XMPP Extension: Unique and stable message IDs

Florian Schmaus flo at geekplace.eu
Sun Jun 7 20:39:10 UTC 2015

On 07.06.2015 20:42, Georg Lukas wrote:
> 3) Create a MID generation scheme that can be independently followed by
> client and server, i.e. full-jid + stream-id + packet-id.

I'd don't think we'll need the full-jid. The properties of the stream-id
are sufficient to generate a unique, collision free MID by concatenating
it with the stanza-id.

We may not be able to use the stream-id though, because of the RFC
requirement that it has to be kept secret. Thus requiring us to
introduce a new public-stream-id which has the same properties as the
stream-id, but without the 'secret' requirement.

> This scheme is
> very similar to #2, but the client has less options to game it, and I
> don't see significant benefits over #2.

"Less options to game it" is not a significant benefit? Also not
requiring UUIDs as stanza-id is also a big plus: A dump client can still
generate stanza-ids using a simple counter and still participate.

> I think these options need to be weighted and one of them chosen before
> we can proceed with the MID XEP.

I'm all for 3. It solves the "how can a client know the MAM archive ID
in advance" problem in an elegant and efficient way.

- Florian