[Standards] Dealing with offline messages in times of MAM

Florian Schmaus flo at geekplace.eu
Wed Jun 10 09:26:32 UTC 2015

On 10.06.2015 10:56, Dave Cridland wrote:
> On 10 June 2015 at 05:58, Daniel Gultsch <daniel at gultsch.de
> <mailto:daniel at gultsch.de>> wrote:
>
>     Even though not yet quite perfect (see the discussion about
>     Message-ID and MR2) MAM works reasonable well. A MAM capable client
>     has no trouble to automatically catch up with lost messages.
>     However if the MAM capable client is the only client in the game it
>     will (with normal setups) regularly receive both the offline
>     messages and the messages downloaded from the MAM archive. Now
>     client side de-duplication usually works good enough for the average
>     user not to notice however this is far from being an ideal solution.
>
>     Is there a solution to this problem that can simply be solved by
>     server side configuration?
>     Will simply disabling offline message return all messages to the
>     sender even though they are stored in MAM?
>
>     Maybe it is time to develop some business rules or best practises
>     that deal with this scenario
>
> For offline messages and MAM-capable clients, there's always XEP-0013,
> though that's rather more heavyweight than we need.

Why not simply state in the MAM XEP, that if a offline message is
delivered to the user by means of MAM, it's removed from the pool of
offline messages?

This means MAM clients could use the approach of xep13:

1. authenticate
2. do MAM query: get all messages since X
3. establish presence session
<no duplicate offline messages here, since they got removed by 2.>

- Florian