[Standards] Dealing with offline messages in times of MAM

Sam Whited sam at samwhited.com
Wed Jun 10 14:37:50 UTC 2015

Slightly OT:

On Wed, Jun 10, 2015 at 2:55 AM, Georg Lukas <georg at op-co.de> wrote:
> Still, we can not get rid of one as long as not all clients support the other.

I disagree; the point of a standards body isn't to maintain every
solution that all clients support, it's to guide clients in what they
SHOULD support. Deprecating old XEPs when something new (full
replacement or just similar functionality that works better) comes
along (after it has a few stable implementations to prove that there
are no bariers to adoption) is a desirable outcome. You're not telling
clients that they must upgrade right away and drop support for the old
thing, just nudging them in that direction. As it stands there are
already too many XEPs with similar enough functionality that they're
effectively duplicates (eg. Blocking Command and Privacy Lists is one
I've been known to complain about in the past; they're not identical,
but it leads to odd client incompatibilities and a bad user
experience), and this sort fo thing should not continue.

Best,
Sam

--
Sam Whited