[Standards] Dealing with offline messages in times of MAM

Dave Cridland dave at cridland.net
Wed Jun 10 15:25:35 UTC 2015

On 10 June 2015 at 15:37, Sam Whited <sam at samwhited.com> wrote:

> Slightly OT:
>
> On Wed, Jun 10, 2015 at 2:55 AM, Georg Lukas <georg at op-co.de> wrote:
> > Still, we can not get rid of one as long as not all clients support the
> other.
>
> I disagree; the point of a standards body isn't to maintain every
> solution that all clients support, it's to guide clients in what they
> SHOULD support.

Actually, it's to do both.

Breaking existing clients, or for that matter just ignoring them, isn't an
option. What we need to do is ensure there's a transition from simple
offline messaging to MAM, and ensure that simple offline messaging
continues to work properly even a few years from now.

I think that's probably what you're saying below, but I don't want people
to get the impression that old methods for doing things will become invalid.

One thing we've not done in recent years is to provide profiles of what
clients and servers ought to support these days. If you'd like to have a
crack at putting together such a guide, I'd be keen to see those restarted.