[Standards] Implementation for XEP-0332: HTTP over XMPP transport

Thibaut Le Guilly thibaut at cs.aau.dk
Tue Jun 16 10:35:02 UTC 2015

Dear all,

I am writing to you because I am currently part of a project in which we
decided to implement the XEP-0332 extension. I found on this list of
question on the list regarding this standard, and it might be late but I
thought our point of view could be of interest to you:

1. Is this specification needed to fill gaps in the XMPP protocol stack
or to clarify an existing protocol?

In our project we collaborate with other companies providing services
through HTTPS, thus using HTTP semantics. For us this is a problem due
to concrete issues such as NAT and firewalls. We also had one partner
who wanted to use XMPP. To integrate easily with other services we
decided to reuse the HTTP semantics in our service protocol, and used
the XEP-0332 as a guideline. Therefore the answer for this question for
us is "yes".

2. Does the specification solve the problem stated in the introduction
and requirements?

Yes.

3. Do you plan to implement this specification in your code? If not, why
not?

We have implemented a basic library providing HTTP over XMPP, available at:
https://github.com/Tibo-lg/HTTPoverXMPP

We would be interested in feedbacks and being kept up to date with this
standard. Note that this library does not implement the full
specifications, only a subset for now.

4. Do you have any security concerns related to this specification?

No.

5. Is the specification accurate and clearly written?

Yes.

Best regards,

--
Thibaut Le Guilly