[Standards] {Core|Advanced} {Client|Server} 2015

Sam Whited sam at samwhited.com
Wed Jun 17 19:08:52 UTC 2015

On Wed, Jun 17, 2015 at 10:46 AM, Dave Cridland <dave at cridland.net> wrote:
> I think that these days, any server should be doing PEP. I suspect we're
> nearing the point where we need to consider Carbons as a "Core", rather than
> "Advanced".

I agree, but before the XSF recommends Carbons as a core feature they
should probably advance it beyond Experimental (but that's a topic for
another thread). There are many good implementations of Carbons out
there in servers and clients; making it draft is possibly the best way
to "recommend" it and should be seen as a pre-requisite to adding it
to a new recommendations XEP I think. Glancing back at the 2012
compliance suite XEP, it looks like this might have been a matter of
policy? They were all draft or higher, I think.

> 1) Is anyone else interested in putting together a new set of
> recommendations for XEPs to implement?

I'd be happy to help put together the list of recommendations,
unfortunately my time for working on things like this has become
extremely limited in recent months.

> 2) If so, does anyone have some solid ideas about what's minimum, and
> sensible, these days?

A few things that should probably be looked into (other stuff from the
old XEPs should be on there too, these just need changes, IMO) off the
top of my head:

- PEP (Core)
- Message carbons (Core)
- Blocking command (moved to Core)
- MUC (moved to Core)
- Stream management (moved to Core)
- XEP-0048: Bookmarks (not sure where; probably Core)
- MAM (advanced)
- CSI (not sure where; probably advanced, but I'm tempted to say Core
given the benefits for mobile)

— Sam

--
Sam Whited