[Standards] {Core|Advanced} {Client|Server} 2015

Dave Cridland dave at cridland.net
Wed Jun 17 21:33:43 UTC 2015

On 17 June 2015 at 20:52, Curtis King <cking at mumbo.ca> wrote:

> > On Jun 17, 2015, at 8:46 AM, Dave Cridland <dave at cridland.net> wrote:
> >
> > Folks,
> >
> > Many moons past, before the dawn of a couple of years ago, we had things
> like XEP-0302, which declared that - excitingly - advanced servers might
> want to implement PEP.
> >
> > I think that these days, any server should be doing PEP. I suspect we're
> nearing the point where we need to consider Carbons as a "Core", rather
> than "Advanced”.
>
> When was Carbons even listed as Advanced?

Yeah... I read that back and wondered what the hell I meant, sorry, that
was hopelessly unclear of me.

I meant to say that Carbons wasn't even on there before, whereas it's now
pretty much essential.

> I’m still at a loss to find a problem which Carbon fully solves. It always
> fails in the case were a carbon is lost and it sure doesn’t save any
> bandwidth.

Two years ago I agreed with you entirely. I maintained this position until
I switched to a server and set of clients that supported it, and then found
it actually works pretty well. I know there's potential theoretical holes,
but i suspect those are more plugged than not with 198 and MAM.

Dave.