[Standards] {Core|Advanced} {Client|Server} 2015

Dave Cridland dave at cridland.net
Wed Jun 17 22:07:03 UTC 2015

On 17 Jun 2015 22:56, "Curtis King" <cking at mumbo.ca> wrote:

>> On Jun 17, 2015, at 2:33 PM, Dave Cridland <dave at cridland.net> wrote:
>>
>> Two years ago I agreed with you entirely. I maintained this position
until I switched to a server and set of clients that supported it, and then
found it actually works pretty well. I know there's potential theoretical
holes, but i suspect those are more plugged than not with 198 and MAM.

> So, the quality standard we are aiming for is pretty well, with the holes
plugged by other XEPs :-)

Perfect being the enemy of pretty well, to paraphrase von Clausewitz.

In this case, pretty well means that for a user, the edge cases don't
appear to get hit. Maybe I'm not experiencing them, though.

> Since you always have to fall back to MAM in the multi-client case why
not just use MAM always?

You can't. You would need to add in a bunch of stuff. If carbons weren't
implemented by almost every server and a whole bunch of clients, that would
be a more compelling argument.