[Standards] Advancing Carbons [WAS: {Core|Advanced} {Client|Server} 2015]

Sam Whited sam at samwhited.com
Thu Jun 18 13:57:19 UTC 2015

On Thu, Jun 18, 2015 at 8:52 AM, Kevin Smith <kevin.smith at isode.com> wrote:
> It seems premature to advance Carbons until we have a clear path forward on this.

Agreed, hence the thread.

I'm split on the issue of Carbons vs. MAM; as I said, I like the fact
that carbons has a fairly small footprint, on the other hand, I like
the idea of not having overlap between XEPs which just leads to client
incompatibilities and end user confusion, and I suspect MAM will
eventually be able to replace Carbons either way.

Overall I'm leaning towards the "update Carbons to play nicely" line.
Would someone who was at the Summit this year care to comment on what
needs to happen to make that a reality?

—Sam

--
Sam Whited