[Standards] {Core|Advanced} {Client|Server} 2015

Curtis King cking at mumbo.ca
Thu Jun 18 17:20:48 UTC 2015

> On Jun 18, 2015, at 8:45 AM, Dave Cridland <dave at cridland.net> wrote:
>

> On 18 Jun 2015 15:40, "Curtis King" <cking at mumbo.ca <mailto:cking at mumbo.ca>> wrote:
> >

> >> On Jun 18, 2015, at 7:25 AM, Dave Cridland <dave at cridland.net <mailto:dave at cridland.net>> wrote:
> >>
> >> There's consensus, I would argue, given that it's extremely well supported in servers, desktop and mobile clients. In fact, finding servers that didn't support it a year ago is hard.
> >

> > Two servers and maybe 5 clients does not make for well supported in my book.
>
> Which two were you thinking of?
>
> Ejabberd has supported it for two years, Openfire for 18 months or so on trunk, prosody for ages. I don't know about the others, but those three account for a very high percentage of deployed domains, once one excludes Google, who don't implement anything anyway.

Ok three servers if count a 3rd party plugin for Prosody.

> > But, how well an extension is supported doesn’t give it special rights to skip the standardization process.
> >

> Supported isn't the same as deployed, and I'm not arguing high deployment skips the standards process. However, it does offer evidence that it works, and is desirable, and high deployment does suggest high consensus.

You keep making general statements with out any supporting facts. From where I sit, I see zero deployment. I can’t find a single iOS XMPP client which supports 280, Trillian has rolled their own solution, all I can find is a few Android clients, some web frameworks, and after 30 minutes of looking zero desktop clients. Far from an exhaustive survey but from your statements I figured it would be easy to find clients which support 280.

> Arguing against it on the basis that an unwritten perfect protocol would be better is a much weaker argument.

I did no such thing. I will rephrase.

Is XEP-0280 a complete solution to it’s stated problem? I say no because it does not support the offline case.
Should a XEP with an incomplete solution be included in the Compliance Suites? If yes, at what level?
Should a XEP be able to be added to the Core level by-passing the Advanced level?

ck