[Standards] XEP-0234 Jingle File Transfer 0.16

Tobias Markmann tmarkmann at googlemail.com
Sun Jun 21 13:56:52 UTC 2015

On Sat, Jun 20, 2015 at 2:08 PM, Yann Leboulanger <asterix at lagaule.org>
wrote:

> I just read the version 0.16 of Jingle File Transfer XEP, and saw that
> you removed the <request> flow.
> Just to mention that it is used in Gajim to re-request the file at the
> end of a tranfer when hash was wrong.

Does that happen without user interaction? Why should a retransfer not lead
to the same errors when both implementations didn't change?

> I don't think it's a good thing to removed a feature without a
> replacement, that's not very nice for clients to remove a feature they
> implemented.

Indeed. I think features should be removed if there are no known
implementations of it or there
is at least a replacement XEP available.

> Please note also that this <request> thing was used by XEP-0329 that is
> now no more implementable!
>
> Is there a way to have it back in the XEP or have a replacement XEP for
> that feature?

A new XEP would be nice implementing similar functionality. This would
lower the barrier of implementation for basic Jingle file-transfer (so no
requests and no multi-files) but allow more advanced clients to provide the
functions if needed.

Cheers,
Tobias