[Standards] MUC2

Daniel Gultsch daniel at gultsch.de
Thu Jun 25 10:11:03 UTC 2015

Hi,

> Thinking a bit about the MUC2 stuff. MUC1 had Anon/semianon/nonanon. We’ve
> pretty much killed off fully anonymous rooms in MUC1.
>
> Can people share their thoughts on usecases for semi-anon, please? It’s
> not entirely clear to me what these are (users who want anonymity seem to
> already be using throw-away JIDs to achieve that, instead of relying on MUC
> configuration).

As I understand this MUC2 should not rely replace the current MUC but
provide an alternative. Someone who needs the full IRC-like feature set
(large groups mostly with people you don't know personally) can still use
MUC1. Therefore we shouldn't be afraid to really limit the feature set of
MUC2 to something that a majority of people will actually use.

> There seems to be some significant merit in having MUCs always be
> non-anonymous in MUC2, to solve some of the addressing messes we’ve found
> ourselves in.

Yes. Plus that gives us the ability to not have private messages which are
always a mess (carbons) - not sure if this is what you meant by addressing
messes.
And we can do proper PEP for avatars and other stuff.

cheers
Daniel