[Standards] MUC2

Dave Cridland dave at cridland.net
Thu Jun 25 17:34:39 UTC 2015

On 25 Jun 2015 18:05, "Kevin Smith" <kevin.smith at isode.com> wrote:

> On 25 Jun 2015, at 16:59, Dave Cridland <dave at cridland.net> wrote:
> > Removing a widely deployed feature doesn't strike me as a viable option.
>
> Well, if we s/widely deployed/widely required/ then I agree. But not
baking something into the MUC2 core doesn’t necessarily mean removing the
feature. If we’re going to try to blank-canvas a MUC replacement, I’d like
to try and look at options as widely as we can.

Well, what you're trying to avoid is addressable occupants, correct?

That removes private messages, rather than anonymity, I think. Private
messages do cause problems in a variety of interesting ways, but equally I
find it interesting that they provide me with an immediate indicator of
where someone has found me.

> For example, (assuming semi-anonymousness is a requirement) is it
possible to not require anything other than non-anonymous in MUC2, but
discuss (either in spec or out of spec) how one would do anonymising if one
wanted to?

> I don’t know.

Maybe the better idea is to look at how chatrooms are actually used, and
run UX interviews with people who are regular users. It's not very
technical, I admit, but I find it very hard to gauge whether some of these
features are desirable or confusing, since I've simply got used to this
being the way things work.

People keep telling us that Slack has ask these things right, but aside
from having a nice user interface and plenty of integration, I'm not clear
if there's anything else that makes it a clear winner.

> I would like us to Get This Right, though. People have been mumbling
about replacing MUC for years, and I’ve always been resistant; the
discussions at the summit this year persuaded me that we finally have
requirements that MUC1 can’t easily meet, but I really do not want us to do
MUC2 now and MUC3 in 2017 to fix the stuff we got wrong in MUC2.