[Standards] XEP-0322: EXI for constrained processing environments

Peintner, Daniel (ext) daniel.peintner.ext at siemens.com
Tue Jun 30 08:17:04 UTC 2015

Hi Rick

We also believe that EXI is very useful in restricted environments. That said, w.r.t. this use case the XEP-0322 might be further improved. We shared already our ideas in the following thread [1][2].

> The fully specified path assumes starting off with fullblown XML and
> then switching to EXI; this is a scenario that would work when the
> viewpoint is saving bandwidth.  Another usecase, where EXI serves the
> relative simplicity of a client, is not really dealt with under the
> usual clarity.

I think you gave yourself the answer in the latter part of your mail mentioning that with a dedicated port one can start using EXI right-away.
Is this approach not working for you?

> As for the EXI cookie, is it an idea to use a processing instruction
> and/or XML declaration that would be sent to the server?

Please correct me if I am wrong but I think this has nothing to do with processing instructions. The EXI Cookie is an optional part of the EXI stream. In fact it is nothing more than a 4 byte "magic cookie" that serves to identify whether a stream is XML or EXI.

Thanks,

-- Daniel

[1] http://mail.jabber.org/pipermail/standards/2014-October/029228.html
[2] http://mail.jabber.org/pipermail/standards/2014-October/029254.html