[Standards] XEP-0277: no link to original post in comment item + published/updated

Goffi goffi at goffi.org
Fri May 1 19:28:38 UTC 2015

G'day,

In XEP-0277 I have two issues:

1) comments link

In section 3 comments are defined by addind a <link/> to a pubsub item
atom payload (#3.1).

This node can be anywhere, and in the comment node/items, there is not
link to the original item (#3.2).

The issue here is if we discover the comment node without knowing the
original item, there is no way to associate both.

A consequence I can imagine is if the original item is deleted, and the
comments is on an other service, there is no way for the comments pubsub
service admin to know if the original item still exits, so he can't
clean its database properly.

2) published/updated

the <published/> and <updated/> elements are given by the publisher, he
can write anything he wants inside. I think that the server should
enforce these data, or we will have the same issues as in email like
mesages in the future (e.g. to appear first).

Cheers
Goffi