[Standards] Multi-client operation and read-until-X markers

Georg Lukas georg at op-co.de
Tue May 5 14:30:11 UTC 2015

I'm following up to myself with another issue that just happened to me:

> MUCs
> As stated above, nick-sharing is the only sane way to do MUCs with
> multi-clients, and we have multiple problems to solve here:
> [1-3]

4. Carbons of MUC private messages. If user at host/A has joined to a MUC
and receives a private message from muc at domain/participant, that message
is carbon-copied to the other resource user at host/B (not joined to the
MUC). Now /B has no way to know that it is a PM from a MUC, and not a
regular message from a user muc at domain, using resource /participant, and
is utterly confused.

One possible workaround would be to mark all MUC PMs, like it is done by
prosody: http://hg.prosody.im/trunk/rev/09151d26560a
Then, a client could use that information to determine if it just
received a MUC PM from a MUC it is not joined into.

Another issue: If both /A and /B are joined to the MUC using the same
nickname, the question arises whether the MUC component should copy a
PM to both resources, or send the PM to one and a carbon of it to the
other (and how the priority/routing is supposed to be handled in that
case).

Georg