[Standards] Multi-client operation and read-until-X markers

Daniel Gultsch daniel at gultsch.de
Tue May 5 15:13:39 UTC 2015

Hi,

> 4. Carbons of MUC private messages. If user at host/A has joined to a MUC
> and receives a private message from muc at domain/participant, that message
> is carbon-copied to the other resource user at host/B (not joined to the
> MUC). Now /B has no way to know that it is a PM from a MUC, and not a
> regular message from a user muc at domain, using resource /participant, and
> is utterly confused.
>
> One possible workaround would be to mark all MUC PMs, like it is done by
> prosody: http://hg.prosody.im/trunk/rev/09151d26560a
> Then, a client could use that information to determine if it just
> received a MUC PM from a MUC it is not joined into.

This sounds like a very simple but usable solution.
I'm going to implement this in Conversations tomorrow.
I though about this earlier but never got around to actually write the code
for this.
I hope that other servers will jump on board with this quickly.

> Another issue: If both /A and /B are joined to the MUC using the same
> nickname, the question arises whether the MUC component should copy a
> PM to both resources, or send the PM to one and a carbon of it to the
> other (and how the priority/routing is supposed to be handled in that
> case).

Defenitly not both like it is done currently. (Or has been done?)

cheers
Daniel