[Standards] MAM ids on new messages to prevent deduping

Florian Schmaus flo at geekplace.eu
Mon May 11 16:03:34 UTC 2015

On 11.05.2015 17:46, Ben Langfeld wrote:
> The thinking is that it is a simple way to provide a baseline method of
> stanza disambiguation for all XEPs without reinventing solutions.
> Generating a UUID is cheap, and I don't see any reason for a client
> implementation to object to doing it.

IIRC the discussion about what to demand from stanzas IDs is pretty old
and comes up once in while.

I think there a good reasons *not* to demand anything from the stanza ID
value, besides what is currently required by the current XMPP RFCs.
There are, for example, constraint devices that want to communicate
using XMPP from which requiring UUIDs as stanzas IDs would be overkill.

But I agree with you that a baseline method would be desirable for
certain cases. That is what
http://geekplace.eu/xeps/xep-mid/xep-mid.html tries to address.

- Florian