[Standards] XEP-0198 minor enhancement

Dave Cridland dave at cridland.net
Sun May 31 10:00:28 UTC 2015

On 31 May 2015 at 04:00, Kurt Zeilenga <kurt.zeilenga at isode.com> wrote:

> Why not consider the new feature an extension to the extension… and hence
> something which doesn’t require a bump of the extension being extended?

Yes, that's another option.

It possibly means using a namespaced attribute in XMPP; not a problem, but
we've historically not done this. So the resultant protocol would look
something like:

<failed xmlns='urn:sm:3' old:h='47' xmlns:old='urn:sm:partial-failure'/>

Adding a new attribute to the schema, such that it's not namespaced, is
more or less what I propose by "not having a version bump".

<failed xmlns='urn:sm:3' h='47'/>

Or else the version bump:

<failed xmlns='urn:sm:4' h='47'/>

I suppose the real difference is if we feel the latter forms require
negotiation; in which case the first and last forms are essentially
equivalent, with the latter form being more streamlined (but breaking
compatibility on Draft).

Dave.