[Standards] 2016 Compliance Suites

Christian Schudt christian.schudt at gmx.de
Tue Oct 6 13:23:54 UTC 2015

> Please discuss. I think the outcome of that discussion probably affects what should go into the suites.

I never really understood the purpose of these "suites", nor did I feel the XSF is pushing them (last one is Deferred).

Nonetheless, here are my thoughts (assuming it should be some kind of recommendation or list of "important features"):

I don't like the idea to include Experimental specs in an "Implementation Recommendation / Best Practices / Suite" document. On the one hand you (XSF) recommend to implement/deploy it, on the other "Experimental" only encourages exploratory implementations.

The suggested list also feels a bit arbitrary:
I think File Transfer capabilities, vCard or Delayed Delivery are more important features, than delivery receipts or CSI. (That's also why the XMPP community has already specified and implemented them many years ago)

The same for PubSub, which is missing, although it seems to become more and more important.

But I think the only really important XEPs, that should be on the list, are XEP-0045 and XEP-0198.
The rest more or less feels like "nice-to-have" features (e.g. Carbons, Chat States, CSI, ..).
They could as well be "Idle Time", "Roster Item Exchange" or "Message Correction", depending on personal opinions/preferences.

-- Christian