[Standards] Deprecating Privacy Lists

Peter Saint-Andre - &yet peter at andyet.net
Thu Oct 15 16:47:42 UTC 2015

On 9/29/15 2:02 PM, Sam Whited wrote:
> I've brought up reconciling privacy lists and the blocking command in
> the past [1], but the discussion faltered and it never went before the
> council. It was brought up as part of a recent discussion again [2],
> and I'd like to formally propose that it be deprecated.

As an author of XEP-0016, I am in favor of deprecating privacy lists,
for the following reasons:

1. Smaller, simpler extensions to solve particular problems are
preferable to large, complex frameworks.

2. We defined privacy lists to address a requirement from RFC 2779 that
in fact we misunderstood, so it was over-engineered from the start.

Full disclosure: I have not yet read the long thread that resulted from
Sam's original message.

https://andyet.com/