[Standards] Call for Experience: Advancement of XEP-0301 (In-Band Real Time Text) to Final

Lance Stout lancestout at gmail.com
Fri Oct 23 02:07:10 UTC 2015

> 1. What software has implemented XEP-0301? Please note that the protocol
> must be implemented in at least two separate codebases (at least one of which must be free or open-source software) in order to advance from Draft to Final. [1]

Several open-source libraries now support RTT:

- Babbler (https://bitbucket.org/sco0ter/babbler)
- Strophe (via https://github.com/cvogler/trophyjs)
- Stanza.io (https://github.com/otalk/stanza.io + https://github.com/otalk/rtt-buffer)

Additionally, RTT is now being used in production by Talky (https://talky.io).

> 2. Have developers experienced any problems with the protocol as defined
> in XEP-0301? If so, please describe the problems and, if possible,
> suggested solutions.

Quite the contrary! Implementing XEP-0301 was a very enjoyable experience, as
every question I had while implementing ended up being directly answered in the XEP.

I believe the XEP fully covers the problems it sets out to address.

> 3. Is the text of XEP-0301 clear and unambiguous? Are more examples
> needed? Is the conformance language (MAY/SHOULD/MUST) appropriate? Have
> developers found the text confusing at all? Please describe any
> suggestions you have for improving the text.

It is very clear and unambiguous.

Seriously, Mark and Gunnar have gone remarkably out of their way to provide
all of the guidance needed to create an implementation. Not only for a complete
implementation, there is guidance on how to extract the most value out of partial
support of RTT.

— Lance