[Standards] Call for Experience: Advancement of XEP-0301 (In-Band Real Time Text) to Final

Mark Rejhon markybox at gmail.com
Fri Oct 23 03:03:15 UTC 2015

On Thu, Oct 22, 2015 at 10:07 PM, Lance Stout <lancestout at gmail.com> wrote:

> Several open-source libraries now support RTT:
>
> - Babbler (https://bitbucket.org/sco0ter/babbler)
> - Strophe (via https://github.com/cvogler/trophyjs)
> - Stanza.io (https://github.com/otalk/stanza.io +
> https://github.com/otalk/rtt-buffer)
>
> Additionally, RTT is now being used in production by Talky (
> https://talky.io).

Generally positive developer testimonials on XEP-0301:

https://blog.andyet.com/2015/10/19/talky-gets-real-time-text
(Talky) "There are of course more little implementation [UX] details and
potential Unicode issues that the XEP-0301 spec covers, but the fundamental
model is *remarkably simple and fun to implement*."

http://babbler-xmpp.blogspot.de/2015/07/xmpp-real-time-text-in-action.html
(Babbler) "XMPP Real-time Text is definitively *one of the most fun XMPP
extension out there*, from user's point of view as well as *from a
developer's point of view*! Recently I've added support for it in the
upcoming version 0.6.0 and I thought I'd make a short video which
demonstrates this cool new feature in action!"

Another project, jabber.el supports it as well (written in Emacs Lisp!):
https://github.com/legoscia/emacs-jabber/blob/master/jabber-rtt.el

We have privately received some minor non-compatibility-related errata from
some of the developers of the aboveformentioned libraries:
-- XML namespace correction (does not affect existing implementations)
-- Minor implementation-related ambiguities (i.e. may need a little bit of
additional text in implementation notes); no protocol change
I'll let author(s) chime in directly (calling out, specifically, Christian
Schudt -- babbler author)

Thanks,
Mark Rejhon
Author of XEP-0301