[Standards] Deprecating Privacy Lists

Genghis Khan genghiskhan at gmx.ca
Fri Oct 23 16:14:57 UTC 2015

I do not know how many of you heard of social networking platforms that
are based on XMPP, such as Movim and Salut à Toi

By deprecating XEP-0016, even if it does not mean nullification, we
might harm progress of XMPP based social networks.  Not only that the
centralized social networks deprecate and even actively destroy user
privacy, they do not seem to allow powerful privacy feature such as
XEP-0016.

Another reason to keep XEP-0016 until further corresponding
advancements be made is to protect this almost exclusive potential that
is now reserved to social networking platforms based on XMPP.

Also, if you think that XEP-0016, due to its complicity or flexibility
rate, is resulting in bad code or implementation, please update XEP-0016
with a new section that would provide a proper UI guidelines to handle it;
UI may be a filter dialog such of Email clients (e.g. Claws Mail and
Sylpheed).

Posts I legitimize or agree with:
http://mail.jabber.org/pipermail/standards/2015-September/030396.html Florian Schmaus
http://mail.jabber.org/pipermail/standards/2015-September/030397.html Goffi
http://mail.jabber.org/pipermail/standards/2015-September/030398.html Christian Schudt
http://mail.jabber.org/pipermail/standards/2015-September/030400.html Goffi
http://mail.jabber.org/pipermail/standards/2015-October/030429.html Evgeny Khramtsov
http://mail.jabber.org/pipermail/standards/2015-October/030434.html Evgeny Khramtsov
http://mail.jabber.org/pipermail/standards/2015-October/030438.html Evgeny Khramtsov
http://mail.jabber.org/pipermail/standards/2015-October/030460.html Christian Schudt
http://mail.jabber.org/pipermail/standards/2015-October/030466.html Evgeny Khramtsov
http://mail.jabber.org/pipermail/standards/2015-October/030481.html Evgeny Khramtsov
http://mail.jabber.org/pipermail/standards/2015-October/030484.html Evgeny Khramtsov

I strongly suggest not to deprecate XEP-0016 yet.