[Standards] Call for Experience: Advancement of XEP-0301 (In-Band Real Time Text) to Final

Florian Schmaus flo at geekplace.eu
Mon Oct 26 16:49:15 UTC 2015

On 26.10.2015 17:44, Mark Rejhon wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 26, 2015 at 12:34 PM, Dave Cridland <dave at cridland.net
> <mailto:dave at cridland.net>> wrote:
>

>     On 25 Oct 2015 5:56 pm, "Mark Rejhon" <markybox at gmail.com
>     <mailto:markybox at gmail.com>> wrote:
>     >> 5. Should referenced/dependent XEPs (especially XEP-308) be Final
>     before this one becomes Final?
>     >
>     > Not necessary. Many examples include:
>     > XEP-0203 (FINAL) references XEP-0045 (DRAFT)
>     > XEP-0174 (FINAL) references XEP-0115 (DRAFT)
>     > etc.
>
>     [...] In any case, I would expect that any normative references
>     should beat the same maturity level.
>
>     By normative reference, I mean a reference required to be read and
>     implemented in order to implement the specification's mandatory
>     behaviour. [...]
>
> XEP-0115 is Entity Capabilities
> http://xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0115.html
> It's a rather important standard that's still DRAFT.

Entity Capabilities are important to avoid lookups. But they are only an
optimization on top of XEP-30. Most XEPs have no hard dependency on
Entity Capabilities, i.e. the protocols also work using ordinary XEP-30
lookups, and therefore don't require to mention it as normative reference.

Great work on XEP-301 btw. :)

- Florian