[Standards] UPDATED: XEP-0333 (Chat Markers)

Thijs Alkemade me at thijsalkema.de
Wed Oct 28 20:26:46 UTC 2015

> On 28 okt. 2015, at 16:50, XMPP Extensions Editor <editor at xmpp.org> wrote:
>
> Version 0.2.1 of XEP-0333 (Chat Markers) has been released.
>
> Abstract: This specification describes a solution of marking the last received, displayed and acknowledged message in a chat.
>
> Changelog: Fixing typo ("cannot" repeated twice) (JC Brand). (XEP Editor (mam))
>
> Diff: http://xmpp.org/extensions/diff/api/xep/0333/diff/0.2/vs/0.2.1

I tried to read this specification today, and it left me rather confused.

From the introduction it is not clear to me how Chat Sate Notifications +
Carbons is insufficient.

§4 has two examples where the client queries a server for support, but the
entire specification reads as if it only applies to clients.

Lastly, it says in §6:

> If recipient does not support the Chat Markers protocol it SHOULD NOT return an error.

While it does sound like a very sensible requirement, extensions shouldn't be
able to set requirements for all implementions that don't support it.

Regards
Thijs