[Standards] XEP-0060, offline modifications and efficient synchronization

Matthieu Rakotojaona matthieu.rakotojaona at gmail.com
Mon Sep 7 22:15:33 UTC 2015

Excerpts from Kim Alvefur's message of 2015-09-07 14:49:59 +0200:
> Hi!
>
> On 2015-09-05 16:22, Matthieu Rakotojaona wrote:
> > - MAM only allows something like "give me everything since this moment",
> >   however using dates is always problematic (clocks are not
> >   synchronized, time can drift, ...)
>
> FYI: MAM lets you request by archive id.  There doesn't seem to be an
> example describing that, but it's essentially the same as paging:
> http://xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0313.html#query-paging

Hey !

Yes, you can page with MAM. The problem is that there is no interaction
between MAM's archive ids and actual items, so whenever you receive a
notification you know that the latest archive id must have changed but
you don't know the new value. So you'll have to retrieve back from the
last event you retrieved.

My idea was to make this id central in the Pubsub XEP, and then have
references to other XEPs like "You can use RSM with those ids".

XEP-0312 does feel more lightweight and more importantly more generic
(it doesn't apply to only pubsub, but to everything that is based on
presence) but still has the issue of clocks.