[Standards] NEW: XEP-0364 (Current Off-the-Record Messaging Usage)

Sam Whited sam at samwhited.com
Sun Sep 13 13:50:46 UTC 2015

I was experimenting with OTR a bit today and was going to tweak this
section of the document, but I think I'm still siding with Daniel on
this one and am not going to make any change at the moment: Sending to
the full JID just doesn't work with OTR in practice.

Does any client actually use instance tags to discard junk messages?
After a (very cursory) search over some popular clients I didn't see
any of them using instance tags. Would love to be told otherwise
though.

Maybe there's a case for making a future recommendation that says "if
clients support instance tags then allow OTR messages to be copied and
send to the bare JID".

Best,
Sam