[Standards] NEW: XEP-0364 (Current Off-the-Record Messaging Usage)

Thijs Alkemade me at thijsalkema.de
Sun Sep 13 14:50:09 UTC 2015

> On 13 sep. 2015, at 15:50, Sam Whited <sam at samwhited.com> wrote:
>
> I was experimenting with OTR a bit today and was going to tweak this
> section of the document, but I think I'm still siding with Daniel on
> this one and am not going to make any change at the moment: Sending to
> the full JID just doesn't work with OTR in practice.
>
> Does any client actually use instance tags to discard junk messages?
> After a (very cursory) search over some popular clients I didn't see
> any of them using instance tags. Would love to be told otherwise
> though.

libotr does:

https://bugs.otr.im/projects/libotr/repository/revisions/master/entry/src/message.c#L994

otr4j does:

https://github.com/jitsi/otr4j/blob/bfd0b363a9a7865f68e46db19c095a8f34ace6be/src/main/java/net/java/otr4j/session/OtrAssembler.java#L96

AFAICT those two together cover a great number of clients.

The only implementation of OTR I could find that does not support instance
tags is pure-python-otr:

https://github.com/python-otr/pure-python-otr/issues/28

Best regards,
Thijs