[Standards] XMPP team activity

Peter Saint-Andre - &yet peter at andyet.net
Mon Sep 28 20:51:41 UTC 2015

On 9/28/15 2:30 PM, Evgeny Khramtsov wrote:
> Mon, 28 Sep 2015 22:16:02 +0200
> Kim Alvefur <zash at zash.se> wrote:
>
>> On 2015-09-28 21:37, Evgeny Khramtsov wrote:
>>> You're just unable to build Whatsapp-like service based on XMPP.

Evgeny, I'm looking around for your contributions to solve the problems
you have mentioned and I'm having trouble finding the relevant specs,
code repositories, pull requests, etc. Pointers would be welcome.

>> Then please explain this:
>> https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=WhatsApp&oldid=682990120#cite_ref-34
>>

> Nowdays Whatsapp is built on FunXMPP, it is very hard to call it jabber
> now: https://github.com/WHAnonymous/Chat-API/wiki/FunXMPP-Protocol
> Would they do this if XMPP was fine for them? Obviously not, XMPP is
> not suitable for them.

What's suitable for WhatsApp is not necessarily suitable for everyone
else (i.e., people who aren't trying to build the highest-scale
messaging system on the planet). Different tools for different problems.
Other super-high-scale systems take all sorts of shortcuts for their
special requirements. That doesn't mean one can't make a good mobile or
multi-device system using XMPP.

I'm not saying we don't have work to do as a tech community. But let's
each of us do the work instead of complaining that someone else hasn't
done it for us.

https://andyet.com/