[Standards] XMPP team activity

Peter Saint-Andre - &yet peter at andyet.net
Mon Sep 28 21:16:47 UTC 2015

On 9/28/15 3:06 PM, Evgeny Khramtsov wrote:
> Mon, 28 Sep 2015 14:51:41 -0600
> Peter Saint-Andre - &yet <peter at andyet.net> wrote:
>
>> Evgeny, I'm looking around for your contributions to solve the
>> problems you have mentioned and I'm having trouble finding the
>> relevant specs, code repositories, pull requests, etc. Pointers would
>> be welcome.
>
> I'm working on ejabberd since 2004.

I know.

> Not sure what should I do to fix
> the problem?

You noted several failings in XMPP. There are XEPs out there for those
features: push, file transfer, message archiving, avatars, etc.

Part of the problem we have is that sometimes we have two different
approaches to the same problem, developed at different times. We need to
be more decisive about moving from old to new. That means we need more
code for the new solutions.

Sometimes we're developing solutions to newer problems. Here again code
helps. Constructive comments on the new solutions is also good.

> Should I implement a proprietary extension for ejabberd?

Although I prefer early implementations of extensions that people are
trying to standardize, sometimes proprietary extensions are helpful too
in order to gain experience with different ways to solve a problem.

> Because I'm not a XEP writer.

I did mention pull requests, code repos, etc.

>> I'm not saying we don't have work to do as a tech community. But
>> let's each of us do the work instead of complaining that someone else
>> hasn't done it for us.
>
> So I pointed to the problems we have in XMPP and that means
> complaining?

I don't mind complaining. I do mind complaining without doing. In
general you are doing, but in this thread you're just complaining and
that's not especially constructive. Better to channel your annoyance
into feedback on, and implementation of, XEP-0357, XEP-0234, XEP-0313
and XEP-0280, etc. Let's get those finished and implemented and deployed
so that we solve these important problems!

https://andyet.com/