[Standards] XMPP team activity

Holger Weiß holger at zedat.fu-berlin.de
Tue Sep 29 16:59:22 UTC 2015

* Ralph Meijer <ralphm at ik.nu> [2015-09-29 16:30]:
> I don't believe the protocols themselves are the issue here.
> Implementations are.

I think the problem is with both.  One of the main issues on the
standardization side has been mentioned several times: There's way too
much redundancy, which forces developers to either implement a given
feature in multiple ways or to just live with the interop issues every
XMPP user is aware of.

And while this problem seems obvious and severe to me, I don't get the
feeling the standardization community sees an urgent need to tackle
these things.  Quite the opposite, I've seen people state that they
"don't see why we'd deprecate something that's in use simply because it
doesn't work well with something else in use."¹  As if standardization
was just about documenting multiple (possibly incompatible) ways of
doing things, rather than agreeing on a single way with the goal of
yielding interoperability.

> The XSF is surely a great place to facilitate such discussions, but is
> not in a position to enforce convergence around certain applications.

Why not?  If all you're saying is that you have no formal power over
implementors, then you're stating the obvious.  But wouldn't you see it
as a goal of the XSF to work towards a consistent standard and thereby
convergence of implementations?

Holger

¹ http://mail.jabber.org/pipermail/standards/2014-December/029432.html