[Standards] XMPP team activity

Holger Weiß holger at zedat.fu-berlin.de
Tue Sep 29 18:51:05 UTC 2015

* Ralph Meijer <ralphm at ik.nu> [2015-09-29 19:36]:
> I strongly believe that having competing *Experimental* specifications
> are a *good thing*. It helps getting towards a good design that has the
> potential to go to Draft status and beyond. Note that going to the next
> phase, Final, requires multiple different compatible implementations.

You describe the XEP standardization process as envisioned by the XSF.
In practice, some clients implement XEP-0096 (Draft) for file transfer,
others use some revision of XEP-0234 (Experimental, since 2008), and
some do both.  So somehow things aren't working out as envisioned.

Your stance on this seems to be that it's clearly an implementation
issue, hence there's no need to question the standardization process.
It is this stance that I disagree with.

Holger