[Standards] Deprecating Privacy Lists

Sam Whited sam at samwhited.com
Tue Sep 29 20:02:02 UTC 2015

I've brought up reconciling privacy lists and the blocking command in
the past [1], but the discussion faltered and it never went before the
council. It was brought up as part of a recent discussion again [2],
and I'd like to formally propose that it be deprecated.

I have made a pull request here: https://github.com/xsf/xeps/pull/104

As I see it, privacy lists are complicated and don't work well with
the blocking command in practice. As an example, if I block a user (on
an ejabberd server) in Gajim (which uses privacy lists), and then view
the same user in Conversations (which suports the blocking command),
that user does not appear blocked because Gajim's privacy list is
slightly different from what the server considers "blocked" so it's
never mapped to the privacy lists.

The majority of the functionality of privacy lists is covered by

- XEP-0191: Blocking command
- XEP-0186: Invisibility

While privacy lists do have other functionality, it is rarely used.

Deprecating privacy lists will simplify the XMPP stack and remove one
more interop issue between clients which implement different
protocols, and I'd like to request that it be taken up and discussed
by the council.

Best,
Sam

[1]: http://mail.jabber.org/pipermail/standards/2014-December/029402.html