[Standards] Deprecating Privacy Lists

Christian Schudt christian.schudt at gmx.de
Wed Sep 30 13:29:37 UTC 2015

> http://mail.jabber.org/pipermail/standards/2014-December/029430.html

> The problem is that it's unclear (to me) how to map XEP-0016 rules that
> block some kinds of stanzas but not others.

If that's all, I think XEP-0191 §5 only lacks a more precise mapping of 0016 privacy list to block list.

It's the server's responsibility to return an adequate block list, which is built/mapped from a privacy list.
E.g. if the privacy list contains a single rule:
<item type='group'
          value='Enemies'
          action='deny'
          order='1'/>

The server would translate it to a block list, which contains all contacts in the 'Enemies' roster group.

IMO, it's not a client interop issue, but a server mapping issue and a lack of well specified mapping rules.

- Christian