[Standards] Proposed XMPP Extension: OMEMO Encryption

Dave Cridland dave at cridland.net
Tue Apr 12 18:18:46 UTC 2016

On 12 April 2016 at 17:08, Fabian Beutel <fabian.beutel at gmx.de> wrote:

> Hey everyone,
>
> as I'm currently trying to implement OMEMO out of curiosity, I wanted to
> bring up a few points that might be of interest to the discussion:
>
> 1. There still seems to be no real protocol specification, but there has
> been a "whitepaper" by Whatsapp [1] that describes the protocol used,
> which is not suitable as a standards specification but is a nice
> introduction for understanding the protocol - if anyone is interested.

There is, however, "olm", from the Matrix folk. This is a direct copy of
Axolotl, except done as a decent spec and with (I think) a
liberally-licensed reference implementation. Should be fully compatible
with Signal's.

If we can (nominally) switch to Olm, I'm actually quite happy with this
spec (given the current absence of any proxy re-encryption stuff).